Does Romans 13 teach that Christians should always obey civil rulers? What is God’s purpose for civil government?
In this sermon, Pastor Chuck Baldwin of Liberty Fellowship in Montana explains 7 biblical principles of civil government. He also addresses when submission to obligated to submit to civil rulers when they are wrong.
7 biblical purposes of civil government:
- Protect the innocent (2 Kings 24:3-4, Romans 13:3-4)
- Protect the freedom and rights of the people (Jer. 7:6-7)
- Provide justice (Jer. 22:3)
- Give fair trials to all who are accused (Deut. 19:18-19)
- Provide quick due process of law and fair judgment (Deut. 25:1-2, Ecc. 8:11)
- Punish evil-doers (Gen. 9:6, Romans 13:3-4)
- Protect national/state borders (Acts 17:26)
*This message originally aired on April 28, 2015 and re-aired on Nov. 3, 2015 and April 5, 2016.